Rocket Lawyer vs IncFile
When starting a business, many entrepreneurs look to business formation services to launch their business entity.
Most small business owners also prefer to focus on running their business and rather than also trying to tackle the legal aspect.
But with hourly rates for business lawyers starting at $100 (that is on the low end!) and going up from there, having a business law firm handle all of these needs can get really expensive.
Luckily, there are online business formation services that handle the formation of your business, ongoing filings that need to be completed, and even handle the legal aspect of running a successful business.
In this article we are going to compare and contrast two great business formation services: Rocket Lawyer vs Incfile.
Both are excellent choices but they do have some key differences that may help you decide which to choose for your business needs.
Let’s get started!
Here is our Rocket Lawyer vs Incfile Review:
Rocket Lawyer has been around since 2008 and has become one of the fastest-growing companies in the legal services space.
They provide a variety of legal help as well as business formation services, legal document and contracts, estate planning, real estate planning, and more.
- Business formation: LLC (limited liability company), Corporation, S-Corporation, Nonprofit, sole proprietorship, and general partnership.
- Articles of Organization
- Online legal service
- LLC Operating Agreement
- Business registration
- Registered Agent Service
- EIN (employer identification number)/Tax ID Number
- Articles of Amendment
- Articles of Dissolution
- Trademark Registration
- Fictitious Business Name/DBA
- Non-disclosure agreement
- Independent contractor agreement
- Business contract
- Human Resources 101
- Create custom legal documents and contracts with their legal form library
- Have documents and contracts reviewed
- Estate planning, estate plan documents, and real estate planning
- Legal advice and legal help
- Online legal service
Rocket Lawyer’s pricing is different from other formation services because it has more of a membership structure rather than tiered pricing with plan options.
If you use them for only their incorporation service or llc formation, you will have to still pay the state filing fee. Find out what your state fee is here.
A Premium Membership costs $39.99 per month and includes the following:
|Legal Documents||Free||$39.99 per document|
|Attorney Services(Document Defense on Rocket Lawyer documents)||Free||$9.99 per document|
|Legal Advice from a Rocket Lawyer||Free||$49.99 per question|
|30 minute Consultation on every new legal matter||Free||$59.99 per consultation|
|Discounts for Rocket Lawyer on-call attorney services||40% Off||Unavailable|
|Incorporation Filing||$0 + State Fee25% off thereafter||$99.99 + State Fee|
|Registered Agent service||25% off $149.99||$149.99|
They offer a seven-day free trial of their membership plan.
PROS of Rocket Lawyer
- Online legal advice
- Intuitive form builder for created custom legal document and contracts
- Document Defense feature which backs up contracts. If another party doesn’t comply with the contracts or disputes the validity, or should a legal issue arise, a Rocket Lawyer attorney will come to your defense.
- Excellent customer service and customer review
- Free 7 day trial
- Registered agent service (not free)
Members receive a 40% discount on attorney’s normal rates
CONS of Rocket Lawyer
Costly membership if you aren’t going to need to use the services on a regular basis.
If you are a small business owner and anticipate having legal needs, the need for legal advice and legal help, or the occasional legal question, then using a Rocket Lawyer attorney is going to be cheaper than hiring a Law Firm.
If you simply just need an llc formation service, Incfile will be a cheaper option.
Read our in depth Rocket Lawyer review here.
To compare Rocket Lawyer to a similar, online legal service, checkout our LegalZoom review.
Up next we are going to do the Incfile review.
Incfile is one of the most affordable online incorporation service, is extremely reliable, and they pack in a bunch of great features that are useful for small business owners when starting a business.
Their business formation service is where they really shine.
IncFile LLC has been helping businesses form since 2004 and have helped more than 250,000 businesses since opening their doors.
Key Features and Services:
- Company name verification
- Entity types: LLC service(limited liability company), S-Corporation, C-Corporation, Nonprofit, sole proprietorship
- Free first year registered agent
- Preparation and filing of articles or organization
- Free business tax consult and lifetime customer support
- Next business day processing
- Lifetime company alerts
- Online order status and tracking
- Registered Agent
- Annual Report
- Foreign Qualification
- Certificate of Good Standing
- Change of Registered Agent
- EIN (employer identification number)/TAX ID Number
- Business License Search
- File Business Taxes
- Fictitious Business Name
- File S Corp Tax Election
IncFile LLC has three LLC formation packages to choose from and they each offer a different combination of pricing and features, depending what you need.
For all of the details of each formation package, you can checkout their pricing page here .
Silver Package – what is included:
- $0 + State Fee
- Preparation and filing of your Articles of Organization – these documents are required for your LLC formation and IncFile will create and file them with your state.
- Name availability search to make sure the name you want for your businesses isn’t already taken by another entity.
- One Year Free Registered Agent Service – a registered agent is required to form an LLC. A registered agent accepts important documents on the behalf of your business and forwards them to you. IncFile provides this service for free for one full year. After the first, free year, they charge $119 annually to be your registered agent.
- Lifetime Unlimited phone and email support
- Order status tracking
- Business Tax Consultation – the offer a 30 minutes, no obligation consultation with a certified tax professional and charge for consultation services thereafter.
- Lifetime company alerts – IncFile will keep track of important deadlines and notify you as they approach.
Gold Package – what is included:
- $149 + State Fee
- The Gold package includes everything from the Silver Package
- EIN (Employer Identification Number – An EIN is a social security number for your business and is to be used when opening a bank account, hiring employees, filing taxes, and more. IncFile will acquire an EIN for you so that you don’t have to do it with the IRS directly.
- Custom Operating Agreement – IncFile will prepare your custom operating agreement which outlines the ownership structure of your business and ground rules for the way your company will operate.
- Express 1-3 day shipping of a hard copy of your articles of organization
- Banking Resolution – This document is created to help you open a business bank account. However, this can easily be done by simply bringing your EIN number to the bank with you.
- Gold Business Formation Kit – A box with your company’s name on it, a transfer ledger, and document organization tabs to help keep your documents organized.
- S Corporation Tax form Preparation – This feature only applies if you decide to have your business be taxed like an S Corporation.
Platinum Package – what is included:
- $299 + State Fee
- The Platinum Package included everything from the Gold package
- Expedited Document Filing – this can cut your turnaround time from weeks to days if expedited services are offered in your State.
- Sample Document Library – Access to legal form templates to be used as needed
- Business Website and Domain Name – Incfile has a partnership with SnapWeb and you will receive a professionally designed basic website and pre-made template. This feature requires you to pay SnapWeb’s $20/month hosting fee and the free domain name only applies if you sign up for an annual subscription.
PROS of IncFile
- Easy to Use
- With the Silver plan, you only pay the state fee to form an LLC. You can lookup your state filing fee here.
- Lifetime phone and email customer support
- Free company name availability analysis
- Free registered agent service for one full year
- You can track your order and llc formation or business formation status online
- Free 1-hour tax consultation with a business tax expert
- 15 years of experience
- Over 15,000 customer review online, most of which are positive
CONS of IncFile
- They charge $70 for an Employer Identification Number (EIN) on their free plan
- Incfile Customer Support has been hard to read at times and they have limited telephone customer support hours (9 am – 6 pm CST) – users have said they had better luck with e-mail support
- Numerous package upgrades and add-ons through the registration process
- They can be aggressive up-sellers which can potentially lead to a higher over price as a result
- Both of these companies will help you form a company for far less than a lawyer or law firm will charge.
- Both companies are known for having excellent customer service and support.
- RocketLawyer and IncFile have both helped hundreds of thousands of customers with their business formation and have solid track records.
- Excellent customer reviews and excellent customer support
- Whether you end up becoming a customer or not, IncFile and Rocket Lawyer both offer lots of free information on their websites. If you need to know more about business formation or compliance requirements, the info is right at your fingertips.
- Similar turnaround times
- Both are easy to use and intuitive
In comparison, IncFile is going to offer a much better llc formation services package.
IncFile includes a full year of registered agent service and a business tax consultation with your formation package.
RocketLawyer only gives you the basic essentials of llc formation and you have to pay for a registered agent and any add-ons.
On the flip side, Rocket Lawyer also offers a comprehensive legal service subscription for $39.99 per month which includes an llc formation service or business formation at no extra charge for new subscribers.
In addition, this subscription also provides any legal document you need with an attorney review, consultation with lawyers, discounts on attorney services, and more.
When to choose IncFile:
If you want low pricing, great features, and won’t be needing extensive ongoing legal service, we recommend IncFile.
For a general business formation of llc formation, they are the overall best value option and most likely the option that most entrepreneurs and small business owner will choose.
When to choose Rocket Lawyer:
For those that want the llc formation service and know that they will need ongoing legal service, documents, and advice, Rocket Lawyer is going to save you money on attorneys fees with their monthly subscription.
Either option will help you with your company formation and business registration so that you can start your small business with peace of mind!
Both Rocket Lawyer vs IncFile are excellent companies with a long track record of successfully helping businesses through the business formation process as well as navigate legal concerns.
That being said, depending on your need, one option is better than the other:
FundsNet requires Contributors, Writers and Authors to use Primary Sources to source and cite their work. These Sources include White Papers, Government Information & Data, Original Reporting and Interviews from Industry Experts. Reputable Publishers are also sourced and cited where appropriate. Learn more about the standards we follow in producing Accurate, Unbiased and Researched Content in our editorial policy.